Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Tale Of Jemima Puddle ~ Duck

Potter, B. P. (1908). The Tale of Jemima Puddle ~Duck. New York: Penguin Group.




The Tale Of Jemima Puddle ~ Duck is a story about Jemima the duck. Jemima lives on a farm and she is annoyed because the farmers wife will not let her hatch her own eggs. Jemima decides to make an adventure to find somewhere to hatch her eggs. Along Jemima's journey she meets a very suspicious animal. You'll have to read the book to find out the rest ! This story is a classic. It dates back to about 1908. You can see just how old the book is by the illustrations. The boarder illustrations are identical on every page. The illustrations yet small, they do help add depth to this book. This book would be a wonderful book to use in the classroom. You could use the book to show the children the dangers of talking to strangers. This story is in the genre of fictional, an animal fantasy. I really enjoyed reading this book. I was a big fan of Peter Rabbit growing up. I had no idea that this author made other stories in this collection. I recommend this book to any everyone! The author made the story so appealing by the words that the author picked to help describe the story. To me once you get half way through the book it is a page turner. Even as a young children's book I was very interested in the book. I believe that, that is a reflection of the words the author uses to illustrate the meaning. Some questions I would ask a child if they were reading this story would be, who is your favorite character? Why is he or she your favorite? What did you think would have happened if someone would not have helped Jemima? This book would be best used in a younger elementary class. We could use a felt board in the class room and have the students predict what is going to happen next while using the felt board. This book is a classic and I am sure I will read this book to my future students one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment